Recently I’ve been captivated with cooking. I really am enjoying it more and more than I ever have in my life. I still greatly enjoying baking a lot more as it is my all time favorite. But now that I’m a wife, as crazy as it sounds, I feel like I’ve stepped into a whole new world and role with new passions and desires. So I am constantly searching on Pinterest to find new recipes and sometimes new ways of creating a familiar dish. This helps greatly that my husband loves to eat almost anything! This weeks highlight dinner: Dorito Casserole with recipe from spendwithpennies.com. This recipe can be made for big crowds or small families. Recipe is as follows:
1 lb of ground beef (I always use ground Turkey instead of beef unless it’s organic)
1 clove of garlic (I substituted for fresh onion)
Shredded Lettuce (garnish)
Fresh Tomato diced (garnish)
1 jar of olives (garnish–my hubby and I aren’t big fans of olives, so I didn’t use them)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of salsa
1 pkg of Taco Seasoning
2 cups of shredded cheese
2 cups or 1 16 oz. Pkg of sour cream
1 bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos
1. Preheat the oven to 350°, and drain the salsa while you are prepping beef.
2. Cook your ground beef with garlic as beef will absorb the garlic flavor. I used onions here. Drain the beef mixture and then put back on stove top with Taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of water. Stir until it’s thick and remove from heat.
3. In a separate larger bowl combine the drained salsa, sour cream, can of mushroom soup and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Gradually add in beef as to not overflow the bowl and stir mixture well.
4. Here is used a 2 quart baking/casserole dish. Grab a handful or two of Doritos and slightly crush them. It’s okay if you get some crumbs, but you don’t want it crumbly. Layer 1 1/2 cups of Doritos on the bottom of the dish. Layer with the beef mixture and repeat the layers til you reach the top. I have 3 layers each before my dish would’ve overflowed.
5. Top the Casserole with another layer of Doritos and remaining shredded cheese.
6. Place tinfoil over dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Take dish out, remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes. When you remove from the oven top your awesome cheesy Dorito concoction with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and olives. I also topped with a small scoop of sour cream as well.
All recipes are made according to your taste buds and made to be adapted to how you actually eat. I adapted this recipe to what my honey and I eat.
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Katie H. 💜